Biggar scoops top Pro12 award
8:30pm Sunday 11th May 2014 in Sport
WALES fly-half Dan Biggar has been named as the RaboDirect Pro12 players’ player of the year.
The Ospreys playmaker was presented with the award at tonight’s awards evening in Edinburgh while Glasgow’s Jonny Gray was named young player of the year.
Biggar pipped Warriors livewire Niko Matawalu and Ulster half-back to the award that was voted by the 12 captains and ambassadors, following in the footsteps of Tommy Bowe (Ospreys), Ruan Piennar (Ulster Rugby), Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby) and Nick Williams (Ulster Rugby).
Promising lock Gray beat Leinster centre Noel Reid to the title and succeeds Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) and Luke Marshall (Ulster Rugby).
Connacht and Ulster shared a £10,000 cheque to put towards youth development after jointly claiming the 'SpecSavers Fair Play Award' for having the fewest yellow and red cards and citings over the 22 games.
Munster’s Rob Penny is coach of the year while Leinster legends Leo Cullen and Brian O'Driscoll both received (in absentia) the Chairman's Award in recognition of their outstanding service to their province, their country, the tournament as a whole and the game of rugby union.
Connacht took over from Scarlets as winners of the Rhino Collision Kings title after a panel of experts assessed their efficiency at the breakdown and tackling.
Munster No. 10 JJ Hanrahan scooped the Rhino Golden Boot with 87.30 per cent (55 kicks out of 63) with Cardiff Blues fly-half Gareth Davies coming a close second with 86.96 per cent.
- PLAYERS' PLAYER OF THE SEASON: Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
- YOUNG PLAYER OF THE SEASON: Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
- COACH OF THE SEASON: Rob Penney (Munster Rugby)
- CHAIRMAN'S AWARD: Leo Cullen and Brian O'Driscoll (both Leinster Rugby)
- RHINO GOLDEN BOOT: JJ Hanrahan (Munster Rugby)
- RHINO COLLISION KINGS: Connacht
- SPECSAVERS FAIRPLAY AWARD: Ulster and Connacht - Shared
- TRY OF THE SEASON: Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors)
Comments are closed on this article.