Although still known to 'locals' as the Village, Dinas Powys is the fourth largest community in the Vale of Glamorgan with a population of 8,790.
The origins of the name Dinas Powys are unclear although the Welsh word "Dinas" means fortress or stronghold. The village has the remains of a Norman castle, and the parish church of St Andrew's
dates from the 12th century.
The population had remained static at about 300-400 until the second half of the 19th century when there was an influx into this thriving rural community, including a big contingent from the West
The growth of the coal industry saw the first passenger train arrive in Dinas Powys on Sunday, December 20, 1898, and thereafter the population increased rapidly.
The £160 proceeds from the sale of a corner of the Common to the Barry Docks and Railway Company were used to upgrade the green in the centre of the village, known as the Twyn. The work cost a
total of £190 and General Lee made up the shortfall. The War Memorial was built in 1935.
Dinas Powys is a thriving community with a multiplicity of voluntary organisations and social groups for residents to enjoy, as well as a variety of sports clubs.
The Common, a large area of open space administered by Dinas Powys Community Council, is a popular recreation area, and organised sport is also played at Parc Bryn-y-Don and Murch Playing Field.