LLANTWIT Major is the third largest town in the Vale of Glamorgan, with a population 8,890.
Llanilltud Fawr, to give its Welsh name, has a long and varied history, which makes it a popular destination for visitors, with its medieval town hall of special interest.
In the Sixth century the town was the seat of a monastery presided over by St Illtyd, and was an important centre of learning and ecclesiastic influence for the Celtic Church.
All that remains from Celtic times is a collection of ninth century crosses in the parish church, which dates from the 13th century. As far back as 1841 Llantwit Major had more than 1,000