Works goes on at Penarth Beachcliff as safety officials visit fall site
3:40pm Friday 8th February 2013 in News
WORK is due to continue at Beachcliff despite a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation at the Esplanade site following an accident involving a workman last week.
A spokesperson for RH Properties, the developer behind the rebuild, said a man in his mid-50s who fell through the roof of a building there last Wednesday was “fine” but remained in hospital, and that the construction schedule would proceed as planned.
The spokesperson said: “We are working with the HSE following the incident but there will no effect on the construction schedule.
“The steel works and concrete structure phase of the development is due to commence on February 11.”
The HSE were on site the day after the incident to start their enquiries.
A number of police cars and fire engines attended the scene on January 30 shortly after 12.30pm. The Welsh Ambulance Service sent a total of seven response vehicles.
Local resident Mike Collins called the response “quite incredible”.
“The cost must have been enormous,” he said.
Designed by Cardiff-based John Wotton Architects, the £6 million redevelopment will create four luxury seafront homes – ranging in size from 4,500 sq ft to 8,500 sq ft.
A Michelin-starred chef is to open a restaurant seating up to 95 people on the ground floor, where a wine bar and café will also be accommodated.
It is hoped to be finished later this year.