'No tolerance' pilot scheme to help tackle dog fouling and littering begins in the Vale
12:20pm Monday 6th August 2012 in News
PRIVATE local authority support company XFOR began their one-year trial in the Vale of Glamorgan on Monday, July 30, to help tackle dog fouling and littering incidents.
A zero tolerance approach - where offenders will be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £75 without warning - is being introduced to take a tougher stance on environmental crimes.
It is hoped the one-year pilot scheme will significantly improve the cleanliness of streets, parks and beaches.
XFOR's presence will include coverage over weekends and evening. The council's compliance and enforcement team will also operate a zero tolerance approach while the pilot scheme is in place.
Fixed Penalty Notice offences specifically relate to the Environmental Protection Act (1990), Fouling of Land Act (1996) and Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act (2005).
The pilot scheme follows a 'no cost for the service' approach during its trial. Every £75 FPN that XFOR issues will see 60 per cent of the fine being apportioned to XFOR for their staff time and associated costs, while the remaining 40 per cent will be reinvested directly back into the dog fouling and litter initiatives and equipment.