Penarth Leisure Centre: Refurbishment plans revealed, with work set to start next month
12:10pm Thursday 4th October 2012 in News
PARKWOOD Community Leisure - which runs the Vale leisure centres in partnership with the Vale Council - has revealed details of improvements set to be made at Penarth Leisure Centre.
Work is scheduled to start on the changes, which are focused around the creation of a new health and fitness suite in largely unused areas of the first floor, in early November, with Precor Fitness Equipment set to be installed before the end of the year.
A new cafe will be also be created in the entrance area to the centre.
Work will also take place and Barry and Lantwit Major Leisure Centres, with the total cost of improvements, spread across the three centres, set at £1million.
Simon Hughes, assistant regional director for Parkwood Leisure, said: “The relocation of the fitness suite allows for a much larger and better equipped facility with a dedicated area for free weights training.
“It also allows for the creation of a suitably sized spinning studio/ multi function room in addition to the facilities that alreay exist at the centre. This will permit the centre to offer a wider range of activities and classes on offer.”
Other capital work is expected to be completed on the centre by the end of February. It is also proposed that all public areas of the centre be redecorated with new wall, floor and ceiling finishes.
“Particular attention will be paid to the changing areas where new lockers, vanity points and benches will be provided and showers, cubicles and sanitary fittings renewed,” added Mr Hughes.
Upgrades to public areas will also happen at Barry, as will further improvements in the form of a larger fitness room, spin studio, dance studio and significant changes to the reception area, including a catering outlet and viewing area for swimming lessons in the learner pool.
Cllr Gwyn John, cabinet member for leisure at the Vale Council, said: “We are very pleased to be working in partnership with Parkwood Leisure on such exciting projects that will dramatically improve the facilities available to all users.
"This investment from the Council brings the facilities to a standard that will ensure users can continue to enjoy their local leisure centre for years to come.”
Summary of Works at Cogan:
* New Fitness Suite - featuring expanded gym area with new work stations and free weights area.
* Spinning Studio - creation of a new studio in area vacated by the old fitness suite.
* Conference Room - upgraded facility for meetings and conferences, refurbished with new finishes throughout.
* Party Room - improved space for children's party events and activities, completely refurbished with new finishes throughout.
* Circulation areas - to be redecorated with new wall, floor and ceiling finishes.
* Changing Areas - improvements to finishes to walls, floors and ceilings with new lockers benches, showers and sanitary fittings.
* Reception and circulation areas - new cafe to be created in the entrance area and complete redecoration of all public areas with new floor finishes throughout.