Name: Peter Thornton
Candidate for: Penrith & The Border
Party: Liberal Democrat
(Submitted by candidate)
I was born in Kendal and educated at Kendal Grammar School. I worked in industry and as a teacher before starting my own business running photographic studios and laboratories.
Married to Hazel, we have three children, also 3 grandchildren with another on the way.
Having sold the photo business we run a small local food enterprise trading at Summer music festivals and agricultural shows.
We live in Longsleddale on a smallholding of 25 acres and have a small herd of Dexter cattle.
I’ve a wide experience of life and of business, trading through the last two recessions.
I’m standing for Penrith and The Border because I think it’s time that we elected a Cumbrian to Parliament.
We need someone who understands and relates to ordinary people and who knows what its like to do a normal job, and to run a small business.
Penrith and The Border is a forgotten constituency, ignored by the other two parties who don’t understand how we live here.
Liberal Democrats are now the party of the countryside and if elected then I will work tirelessly to bring our rural issues to Westminster and to bring jobs and industry to our constituency.
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy