Healthy eating drive launched at Penarth holiday camp
2:02pm Thursday 5th September 2013 in Penarth news
A CAMPAIGN to develop healthier eating habits in youngsters has been launched at a Penarth holiday camp.
Change4Life Smart Restart Challenge hopes to encourage families to make healthy changes at the start of the new school term.
The Welsh Government drive was unveiled at a recent Superstars holiday course at Ysgol Pen-y-Garth, Penarth.
Local mum Louisa Jones is one of those taking part.
Louisa, 34, and her six-year-old daughter, Chiara, have made a pledge to ‘beat the threats’.
Louisa, an assistant at an out-of-school club, said: “As a mum you want your child to be healthy and I feel it’s important to get them into the positive eating habits now as it will be too late when she is older.”
Change4Life Smart Restart is urging Welsh families to sign up online during a six-week period from Monday 2 September, while also inviting those who have previously made pledges on the site to revisit their resolutions.
Deputy chief medical officer, Dr Chris Jones, said: “This is a positive effort to improve the health of our nation. Even the smallest of changes in people's lifestyles can help towards a better and healthier future.”
The Smart Restart drive coincides with a new law banning schools in Wales from providing sweets and other salty, fatty or sugary snacks to pupils.
The Healthy Eating in Schools measure was passed in October 2009, but the ban comes into force this month.
Schools inspectorate Estyn will be monitoring what schools are doing to promote healthy eating and drinking.
To register with Change4Life Smart Restart visit www.change4lifewales.org.