Railway path report to go before cabinet members for approval
11:49am Friday 20th September 2013 in Penarth news
A REPORT requesting approval for the controversial enhancement of the shared walking and cycling path along the disused railway line in Penarth is to be discussed by Vale of Glamorgan Council cabinet members.
If approved, works will commence on the scheme which has been the subject of public outrage, and numerous protests and meetings.
A legal application has also been launched opposing it.
The report - which will be presented on Monday September 23 - says the project seeks to improve the existing walking and cycling path, by linking Penarth Town Centre and Cosmeston with an ‘all-weather’ tarmac surface along the 2km route.
But in response to the considerable opposition, it says a resin-bound surface will instead be used on the green between Sully Terrace and Archer Terrace – which campaigners want to protect as an ‘environmental oasis’.
Cabinet member for regeneration, innovation, planning and transportation, Cllr Lis Burnett said the resin alternative would ensure the impact was “minimised”.
Sully Terrace residents Hazel and Alan Bransfield are still waiting for a response to their village green application from the Vale Council’s legal team.
But an additional habitat review and a tree survey is currently being carried out along the railway path to manage the effect on biodiversity.
A lawful development certificate was approved by the planning department earlier this month, making the upgrade exempt from formal planning procedure.
The scheme is being funding by a £184,500 grant from the Welsh Government, via the South East Wales Transport Alliance (Sewta).
“The route is seen as an important element of the developing network of walking and cycling routes across the Vale of Glamorgan,” Cllr Burnett added.
Comments are closed on this article.