THE Vale of Glamorgan Council and the National Landlords Association will host the Landlord and Letting Agents forum on Thursday, February 20.
Landlords and anyone interested in becoming a landlord is welcome to attend the forum from 5.30pm in Committee Room 2 at Civic Offices on Holton Road, Barry.
Please confirm your attendance by contacting Environmental Health on 01446 709526.
The meeting will focus on Supporting People Services, the Council’s review of the Local Housing Strategy as well as other local issues and general updates.
The draft programme for the meeting is detailed below:
• Vince Botham, the NLA local representative for South Wales will give the welcome and introductions.
• Pam Toms, Strategy & Supporting People manager from Supporting People Services will give a presentation on what housing related support means, the services funded by Supporting People in the Vale of Glamorgan and how we can work with private sector landlords to support their tenants to maintain their tenancies.
• Jenny Lewington, Housing Strategy Officer will outline the review and changes to the Local Housing Strategy and how this may impact on the private rented sector particularly having regard to the potential changes that could be introduced by the Welsh Government Housing Bill.
• Carl Evans, Station Commander from South Wales Fire & Rescue Service will talk about fire risks in flats and Houses with Multiple Occupations (HMOs). Following a number of recent fires in private rented accommodation in the Barry area, the fire service are advising owners of the risk factors involved and what steps can be taken to help address the problem. More information will be available about the home safety checks service available to tenants.
• Following the presentations there will be an update on current local authority housing issues affecting the private rented sector and an opportunity for further questions and general feedback.
To encourage all landlords and letting agents to become members of the Landlord Accreditation Wales, the Vale of Glamorgan Council are also arranging for a Landlord Accreditation Wales training day to be held on Tuesday, May 13, at the Docks Offices in Barry.
If you are interested in becoming accredited contact the scheme administrators on 02920 871815 or visit the website https://www.welshlandlords.org.uk/landlord-accreditation/course-information.aspx