Fallas makes Corries pay the penalty



WITH every player giving 110 per cent against very fit opposition, Dinas Powys emerged victorious from Saturday's Welsh Soccer League clash.

The game was played at a very fast pace, with end to end play from the first whistle, and, from Dinas' opening corner, taken by Nicky Bruce, the ball was half cleared to Dave Penikett who played it back into the six-yard box before Corries' 'keeper James Lambert grabbed it as visiting forwards closed in.

Continuing to show plenty of energy, Bruce, playing at left back, made progress down the line and, following a cross, Lambert was quickly off his line to grab the ball off the head of Carlos Indjai. A spell of Dinas pressure ended with midfielder Tony Herrin getting a shot on target but the busy Lambert gathered comfortably. Another chance came Dinas' way when a free kick by Dave Penikett reached his brother, Paul, whose header beat Lambert but was then cleared off the line.

At the other end, Corries had a chance when Steve Geen won the ball on the edge of the Dinas box but his effort was off target.

Following a 35th minute free kick by Bruce, midfielder Marc Bonet's header was on target but Lambert was equal to the effort.

However, just two minutes later Dinas made what would prove to be the vital breakthrough. Indjai was upended after a good run into the Corries box and up stepped regular penalty taker Dimitri Fallas to slot the ball home.

Corries continued to look dangerous at times and a long-range shot from Anthony Storer was gathered by Dinas 'keeper James Curtain.

A couple of further chances came Dinas' way before half-time, with Indjai off target after a sweeping ball from Bonet, and Fallas firing just wide after a through ball from Herrin.

Corries had their best chance, when a free kick by James Alloway brought a fine save from Curtain, but Dinas were worthy of their slender interval lead and should possibly have had more than the one goal to show for their efforts.

Dinas maintained their attacking instincts in the second half , with Fallas failing to fully connect with a Bruce corner and then Paul Penikett firing just wide from a throw in. At the other end, Curtain produced an excellent save to deny Geen.

Both teams introduced fresh legs, with Barry King replacing Indjai for Dinas and, after Penikett skimmed the post following another free kick by Bruce, the substitute burst down the right wing before being fouled. The subsequent free kick led to Penikett being denied by another good save.

Dinas continued to press but couldn't get a second as King, played in by Fallas, shot just over the bar from 18 yards. Good inter-play from the hard working Dinas midfield of Bonet, Herrin and skipper Paul Dawes led to King getting a shot in from close range but the hard-working Lambert again saved.

The visitors then brought on the experienced Danny Street for Bonet with 20 minutes remaining and the pressure continued, with Herrin failing to hit the target after a Bruce corner.

Ben Ah-Mun then replaced Fallas, who had run himself into the ground, for the last seven minutes and further good link-up play between Street and Herrin played Ah-Mun in but his effort was too close to the 'keeper.

There was a late scare for the visitors when a powerful shot from out wide had Curtain scampering across his line but he gathered and time ran out.

Dinas were back in league action on Tuesday evening at Garden Village and are away again on Saturday, December 7, at Caerleon; kick-off 2pm.

Squad: James Curtain, James Marr, Nicky Bruce, Dave Penikett, James Bloxham, Marc Bonet, Paul Dawes (c), Tony Herrin, Paul Penikett, Dimitri Fallas, Carlos Indjai, Barry King, Ryan Garland, Ben Ah-Mun and Danny Street.



Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree