Club saddened by loss of popular figure



FOLLOWING the sad loss of club member and sponsor Tim Healey earlier in the week, both teams and supporters held a minute’s silence prior to the start of of this Ron Lucock Cup fixture.

Despite the poor weather conditions, with a strong and cold cross wind making kicking difficult, a thrilling tie ensued as both teams played a passing game.

With the Sports and Clwb Rygbi mainly relying on their strengths up front and behind the scrum respectively, the former dominated possession and territory throughout, but solid defence and lightning counter attacks eventually won the day for the visitors.

Sports pressed from the start and, with 10 minutes gone, they looked certain to take the lead, but, from turnover ball deep in Clwb’s 22, the visitors’ speedy and skilful backs covered the length of the field for an unconverted try. The pattern of the game resumed, with the home pack dominating, and their backs getting little change in attack, and again the visitors broke loose, on 20 minutes, for a second unconverted try.

With the half drawing to a close, Sports' forwards earned a midfield penalty which was kicked to touch 15 metres from the visiting line. From a short throw, prop Andrew Penberthy broke through and was tackled just short of the line, but, from the resultant ruck, flanker John Moyle drove over for an unconverted try.

Ten minutes after the break, the visitors kept the tempo high, quickly taking a penalty on their own 22 and being unlucky not to go the full distance for a score. Although the home defence just managed to avert a try, from the resultant five metres scrum, a back row move put the scrum half over in the corner for another unconverted try.

Sports hit back over the next 15 minutes to take the lead for the first, and only, time in the game. Pressure at a scrum 10 metres from the visiting line yielded a successful penalty for outside-half Mike Mees and, taking a scrum against the head only 10 metres from their own line, Sports put in a long clearance kick. After a good chase pressurised the defender, who failed to gather, winger Dave Stillman collected for an unconverted try.

With less than 10 minutes left, Clwb were awarded a rather contentious penalty in front of the home posts and, from 22 metres, regained the lead with their first successful kick. They extended the lead to six points, two minutes from time, with another well worked long range try.

Even then the Sports could have saved the tie as they mounted a series of rucks and mauls deep in the visiting 22, only to see a 'scoring' pass go astray two metres from the line.


As previously mentioned, the club is mourning the loss of its major sponsor, Tim Healey, of Lift Services South Wales, whose sudden death occurred on Tuesday, December 10. The club is in total shock, and pass on its deepest sympathy, and condolences, to Denise and her family. Tim was a popular member of the club and will be sorely missed.

Tim's funeral takes place tomorrow (Friday, December 20) at 9am at the Cardiff and Glamorgan Crematorium, Barry, and will be followed by a memorial gathering at the Sully Clubhouse. Members/players attending the funeral are requested to dress casual and/or wear club colours.

The club’s next fixture is Saturday, December 28, when the Firsts play away to Cardiff Saracens.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree