DINAS Powys faced Ely Rangers on Wednesday, August 20 with Ely Rangers winning 2 – 1, with the match ball for this game kindly sponsored by T H & L Jones Ltd, Dispensing Chemists.

This was the proverbial game of two halves, Ely having the best of the first period but Dinas, despite again being unable to field their strongest eleven, came back strongly in the second half and should really have got something from the game.

The visitors went on the attack from the off with Sam Phillips and Nicholas Gardner pressing down the right wing forcing two corners. From the second of these Gardner got a shot away but it was well over James Curtin's cross-bar.

At the other end a ball threaded through the channel from Ali Akmol reached Ben Ah-Mun but he scuffed his shot when well placed.

Another Dinas half-chance came when Rhodri Foote played Keiron James in, he squared the ball but the Rangers defence cleared the danger.

The game was end to end with the visitors looking the more likely to score and after the powerful Jordan Cotterill had spun and shot just wide, they finally got the breakthrough on 18 minutes when Sam Newing controlled a diagonal cross from the right, evaded a tackle and coolly slotted home for 1-0 to the visitors.

Just four minutes later they added a second, Jordan Cotterill getting the better of the Dinas defences to give Curtin no chance.

The hosts had a chance from a set piece when Rangers keeper Ashley Hart stepped outside the box with the ball in his hands, Ryan Garland taking the free kick which was too close to Hart who gathered comfortably. Dinas began to press hard and get more possession and a strong run and cross by Carlos Indjai reached Jack Preston but his shot hit a defender and went out for a non-productive corner. As Dinas began to assert pressure the visitors were conceding a few free kicks and from one of these, after a strong run by James ended in him being tripped, Joe Briscombe played the ball into the box but no-one could get on the end of it and the ball went out for a goal kick and Dinas continued to press for the last five minutes of the half with no reward.

Dinas made three substitutions at the start of the second period, with Mamadu Banguraso, Briscombe and Preston being replaced by Ronan Scott, James Alloway and Sam Johnson.

It was Dinas in the ascendancy now, forcing an early corner which was cleared and a free kick from 30 yards by Alloway which Hart gathered comfortably.

Rangers were still dangerous on the break and some neat inter-passing led to a chance for striker Josh Cotterill but Curtin was quick to come off his line and smother the ball.

A further chance came Dinas's way when Ah-Mun fluffed an excellent chance from six yards but they finally pulled one back that all their pressure deserved, a free kick wide on the right by Alloway was met with a looping header by Ah-Mun at the far post into the top of the net for 2-1 with 20 minutes remaining.

It was then Garland's chance to level for the hosts but after a fine run, his shot was just wide of the upright. Ely came back into the game in the last few minutes and Dinas had Curtin to thank, saving a close range shot by Jacob Howell with an outstretched leg to keep the score at 2-1. A much improved second half from Dinas and they feel confident that when all the squad is available, they will start to get some positive results.

Dinas squad: 1 James Curtin, 2 Ali Akmol, 3 Mamadu Banguraso, 4 James Bloxham (c), 5 Rhodri Foote, 6 Joe Briscombe, 7 Ryan Garland, 8 Keiron James, 9 Ben Ah-Mun (1), 10 Jack Preston, 11 Carlos Indjai, 12 Ronan Scott, 14 James Alloway, 15 Jack Coles, 16 Sam Johnson, 17 Alex Hales.

On Saturday, August 23 Llanwern are the visitors to the Murch, 2.30pm ko, and next Wednesday, August 27 Dinas lock horns again with Ely Rangers at their Station Road Ground, 6.30pm ko.

Peter King, Dinas Powys FC