Penarth Town 2nds 5

Cadoxton Imps 1

PENARTH Town's 2nds played Cadoxton Imps at home last weekend in a Vale Division two clash.

With Imps sitting top-of-the-table and Penarth joint second, it was a very important game for both sides.

Imps started off at lightening speed and with obvious intent.

Penarth were immediately caught out at the back and with the Town keeper beaten it was down to Tony Youd to clear off the line to avoid and early deficit.

Gradually though Penarth started to settle into their normal calm rhythm, Simon Fairhurst and Nick Thomas controlling mid field and feeding Lewis Slack and Macauley Winton in the wide areas.

It was not long before one of the balls had Winton shaking off his marker and bursting in towards the goal, he then fired off a stingging shot on the Imps goal.

The 'keeper saved but could not hold it and up popped Morgan Hayman to finish it off for the opener.

The visitors now started to up their game again and Tom Hopwood in the Penarth goal was forced to give away a corner from a fine shot.

The subsequent set piece was cleared away and Slack picked up the ball on the edge of the Penarth penalty area.

He spotted Winton off on a run wide on the side of the pitch and picked him out with a divine ball easily half the length of the pitch.

Winton only needed to take a touch and then rifled it past a sprawling Imps 'keeper.

Imps tried again to get into the game but the Town back four of Youd, Antonio Scarico, Ryan Bright and Mike Patterson snuffed out all attempts.

Penarth went back on the offensive and won a corner.

Winton whipped it in and Bright found himself unmarked and with time for an easy tap in.

What came next was probably the highlight of the game.

Slack picked up the ball wide on the left around half-way, pressed in about 10 yards, looked up, say the Imps 'keeper off his line and smashed the ball which dipped just in time to drop under the crossbar for the Town's fourth.

So at the break 4 - 0, Town replaced an injured Bright with Scott Willitts who slotted into the centre and immediately upped the pace of the Penarth game.

Within minutes a lovely little interchange between him, Winton and Hayman should have been the fifth but Willitts' finish went just over.

Nathan Bousie was the next to come close when his shot went just wide. Penarth were in complete control and soon after a free kick beautifully delivered again by Winton was headed home by Slack to virtually finish the game.

The Barry team did manage a late consolation goal but the contest had been more or less over by half-time. An excellent all round performance from the home team who now have their sights firmly set on taking the top spot in the league.

Their next game will be AFC Rhoose at home next Saturday.