Discus star Brett Morse vows to bounce back after Olympic disappointment
PENARTH discus ace Brett Morse has pledged to bounce back after his London 2012 Olympic dream came to an abrupt end this week.
The 23-year-old registered a best throw of 58.18m on Monday (August 6) at the Olympic Stadium - but at six metres short of his season best and eight metres shy of his personal record, it was not enough and he bowed out in the qualifying stages.
A World Championship finalist last year, his other two throws were fouls and he conceded that it had been a 'disappointing' performance.
"I wanted to produce something really great, but it wasn't meant to be," said Brett, a former pupil at both St Cyres and Stanwell.
"I had a groin problem which has plagued me all season, and that meant I couldn't train for around ten days before - but that isn't why I didn't throw well on the day.
"Technically I was nowhere near."
Despite the disappointment, he said the atmosphere in the stadium was 'incredible'.
"The crowd were unbelievable," he added.
"The atmosphere was like nothing I have ever experienced. "To have 80,000 people going crazy shouting your name is incredible, and even athletes who have thrown at other Olympics said the crowd was something special."
And regardless of his early Olympic exit, there is no rest for Brett who will travel to Austria to compete on August 20 before concluding his season in Birmingham. "It's been a bit of a disappointing season, but at the same time I made it to the Olympics and I have to build on that experience," he said.
"I'm young and hopefully in four years time I will have the potential to win a medal, not just struggle to qualify.
"I don't want to do this sport just to be average - I want to win medals."