HAVING to play the last 30 minutes of Saturday's Welsh Soccer League clash with ten men after James Marr was shown a straight red card for a late tackle, which most people thought only deserved yellow, Dinas Powys showed their fighting spirit to pick up a Second Division point against the odds,

Starting the game well, Undy were soon pressurising the Dinas defence and a sweeping move involving James Barnes, Andrew Larcombe and Mike Jones ended with Jones colliding with Dinas 'keeper James Curtin and the ball ending up in the net. However, the referee awarded Dinas a free kick, with Curtin needing treatment before continuing.

Further chances fell to Undy but their robust approach saw them conceding further free kicks, while, for the second week running, Dinas had Marr to thank for a goal-line clearance.

The Dinas defence was in fine form throughout, with Marr, Bruce, Penikett and Bloxham breaking down attacks time and time again.

When Dinas began to gain some possession, a determined run and shot by skipper Paul Dawes was deflected off target and cleared and, after another good run, Tony Herrin cut the ball back to Bruce whose dangerous looking cross went untouched and ran out for a throw-in.

Dinas were back under the cosh when a powerful shot from Gyles Thompson just skimmed the crossbar and Curtin, who needed the magic sponge again, produced a fine double save to deny Marcus Power.

After Joe Briscombe, on his weaker left foot, failed to trouble visiting 'keeper Smallcombe, Dinas finally broke through when a superb flowing move found skilful midfielder Marc Bonet who advanced into the box to net the 37th minute opener.

The visitors went close to equalising when a cross from Andrew Larcombe found Power but his header clipped the top of the bar.

The second period started with a half chance for Dinas, when Herrin volleyed wide following a Nicky Bruce free kick, while, at the other end, Curtin produced a fine 57th minute save to deny Jones.

Play was pretty even at this stage, with Dinas' Dawes, Herrin, Parsons and Bonet battling for possession.

With the harsh sending off of Marr, Dinas dropped Parsons into the right back slot and the team continued to battle really well, with the superb Dinas back four repelling wave after wave of attacks. Dinas brought on fresh legs, with Dimitri Fallas replacing Paul Penikett and Luke Swaffield replacing Briscombe, but the pressure continued to mount and the home side played their last card when Carlos Indjai was introduced for Bonet.

And, just when it looked as if Dinas had hung on for all three points, an injury-time shot was deflected off a home boot past Curtin. Cruelly denied the win, it could still have been worse for Dinas but young 'keeper Curtin produced another superb save from Barnes in the dying seconds to ensure his side took a point.

Dinas are back in action away to Cardiff Met University tonight (Thursday), with a 7pm kick off.

Dinas squad: James Curtin, James Marr, Nicky Bruce, Dave Penikett, James Bloxham, Tony Herrin, Paul Dawes (c), Connor Parsons, Paul Penikett, Joe Briscombe, Marc Bonet, Luke Swaffield, Ryan Garland, Carlos Indjai andDimitri Fallas.

The club require a first team goalkeeper and, anyone interested, should contact manager Dave Penikett on 07816 929727.