THERE is a special exhibition open now to celebrate the centenary of the birth of Frank Roper. From his cliff-top workshop, overlooking Penarth Pier, artist Frank Roper spent over fifty years producing his unique sculptures and stained glass windows for churches throughout England and Wales.

Some of his incredible work can be seen in cathedrals at Durham, Peterborough, Wells, Saint David’s and Llandaff and many churches in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan.

Frank Roper was born in Haworth in Yorkshire on 12 December 1914. He later studied at Keighley and at The Royal College of Art, where he became one of Henry Moore’s students. In 1947 Frank Roper was appointed as a lecturer in charge of sculpture at The School of Art, in Cardiff. He later became Vice Principal, where he remained until his retirement in 1973.

At a special exhibition, celebrating the centenary of his birth, photographs of his work produced for churches in the Vale of Glamorgan are currently on display at Travellers Gallery, Barry. These include two sculptures seen at St Mary’s Church, Penmark and Saint Augustine’s Church, Penarth and commemorative windows from St Tydfil’s Church, Llyswerney, St Mary’s Church, Wenvoe, St Peter’s Church, Dinas Powis, All Saints Churches at Penarth and Barry, as well as two fine examples from St Michael’s Church, Michaelston-le -Pit. His work from Christ Church, Roath, Cardiff and his fine reredos screen at the Lady Chapel, Llandaff Cathedral will also feature.

There is also a rare opportunity to see some of his original sculptures on loan for this occasion.

Travellers Gallery is run by VOGA (Vale of Glamorgan Artists) in partnership with MIND in the Vale.

A spokesperson for VOGA said that Travellers Gallery are pleased to be involved in celebrating Frank Roper’s life and work, and added, “As well as providing the opportunity to revisit his work it also introduces the public to the work of this modest man who made such a valuable contribution to church art in his adopted home.”

The exhibition will be display until September 12 this year and is open weekdays in the mornings only.