THIS week’s From the Archive looks at an afternoon scene of Penarth promenade in the early 1960’s.

The popular council deck chairs can be seen on the esplanade and were a regular feature of summers until the late 1970’s.

The highway was two way then with parking along the one side of the road.

The Esplanade was built in 1884 and the pavilion was built in 1925. The esplanade features a variety of cafes and eateries currently, including Restaurant James Sommerin and The Fig Tree.

It is also home to the Penarth RNLI branch and The Penarth Yacht Club.

The Penarth Times would like to thank Andrew Coslett for this image.

Keep a look out for a larger From The Archive piece in next week’s Penarth Times which looks at the lives of two Penarth passengers who were both onboard the Titanic when it sank.