A RUGBY player died after he fell into swollen waters at Penarth Marina during Storm Callum.

Owain Jones, 32, suffered a heart attack when he tumbled into the water on a night out with his "soul mate" fiancee Leanne Silvester.

Ms Silvester, 35, went in to save him as the marina was flooded by the storms.

But Mr Jones died shortly from a cardiac arrest after being pulled from the 30ft deep waters and taken to hospital.

Saleswoman Ms Silvester was later released after being treated in the same hospital.

Tributes have now been left at the scene in memory of Mr Jones.

Friends are comforting Ms Silvester at her home, which overlooks the scene of the tragedy.

Police are appealing for witnesses who may have been at the scene at around 10pm on Friday (October 12).

Officers have added that there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding Mr Jones' death.

One of the friends of the couple, Karen Golledge said: "There are no words Leanne ... we are all so shocked and heartbroken that you've lost your soul mate. Thinking of you at this awful time."

Mr Jones played scrum half for the Cardiff Saracens rugby club.

Posting on Twitter, the club paid tribute to Mr Jones in a statement, calling him a "great man". 

The statement said: "We are shocked, devastated & saddened by the passing of one of our own this weekend. Owain Jones was a great man, Sarrie & friend. Electric on the pitch and off it.

"One of the nicest & genuine lads. Our deepest sympathies go to his fiancé, family & friends."

A spokesperson for the Penarth Coastguard Rescue Team said: “We were tasked to assist with two persons in the water, on arrival at the scene we were met by South Wales Police and South Wales Fire and Rescue Service.

“Both casualties taken out of water and received treatment from Med Serve Wales, the Welsh Ambulance NHS Trust, including the HART rescue team. Also on the scene was the Rescue 187 Coastguard helicopter.

“The casualty was taken to University Hospital of Wales for further treatment by land ambulance.”

A spokeswoman for the Cardiff coroners office said the cause of death was "cardiac arrest after being submerged in water." A full inquest is due to be held at a later date.