THIS week’s From the Archive section looks at the steam locomotive 4590 just about to depart Penarth Town station in the 1950s.

The 61-ton locomotive was built in the Great Western Railways works at Swindon in 1937 and was withdrawn from service in 1958.

The pedestrian bridge can be seen which linked the two platforms.

It was demolished in the early 1970s after British Rail withdrew the passenger service west of the town in May 1968 after the Beeching Review.

The line has been a single track since 1967, closure of the coastal rail line removed the direct link between Penarth and Barry.

Many thanks to Sean Jones and Andrew Coslett members of the facebook group Images of Bygone Penarth for the photograph.