ANGRY residents and councillors have reacted to news that a planning application has been submitted for 576 new homes near Cosmeston Country Park.

The plans on the Welsh Government-owned land at Lower Cosmeston Farm, stretching from Lavernock Road to the coast, include a new primary school, community facilities and public open space.

Criticism of the plans range from fears over congestion to worries from archaeologists that the development would wreck an area of historical interest.

Penarth Times: The plan for the Cosmeston development, with the additional development in colour. Picture: ASBRI PlanningThe plan for the Cosmeston development, with the additional development in colour. Picture: ASBRI Planning

The area is currently green, but has been pinpointed on the Local Development Plan as an area for potential affordable housing, and the Welsh Government says 40 per cent of the houses will be affordable.

In September last year an outline planning process began, and the Welsh Government says since then consultation has taken place.

Now the government has submitted a planning application to the Vale council for the residential development of the land.

A community campaign called Keep Cosmeston Green, led by Vale councillor Kevin Mahoney and others, began in October last year, and met again on Tuesday evening to discuss the developments.

Penarth Times: Sully councillors Kevin Mahoney and Bob Penrose are fighting to prevent the development alongside campaign group Keep Cosmeston GreenSully councillors Kevin Mahoney and Bob Penrose are fighting to prevent the development alongside campaign group Keep Cosmeston Green

“I think if this development goes ahead it will be utterly hypocritical of the Welsh Government who constantly bang on about biodiversity and protecting our environment,” Cllr Mahoney said.

“With all the building going on at Cog Road in Sully (540-home development) and then this potentially coming, we will have a village the size of another Sully coming here, and we simply will not be able to cope.”

One of the focal points of anger are the 16th century farmhouse buildings at Lower Cosmeston Farm, that would be demolished to make room for the development.

Mark and Jonathan Lambert, brothers who are both archaeologists and have thorough knowledge of the area, say the site is of significant historical interest which hasn't been fully considered.

Penarth Times: Part of the site in question. Cllr Mahoney says it would be hypocritical of the government to build on the green landPart of the site in question. Cllr Mahoney says it would be hypocritical of the government to build on the green land

A Welsh Government spokesperson said: “The allocation in the Local Development Plan recognises the sites proximity to known archaeological features. Archaeological and heritage statements have been submitted with the planning application and Glamorgan Gwent Archaeological Trust require an archaeological evaluation of the site as part of any planning application submission.

“Once it has been formally registered the application and supporting documents can be viewed on the council’s website.”

Referring to the application a Vale of Glamorgan Council spokesperson said: “Once that is registered, consultations with statutory bodies and other agencies will take place. A public consultation will also be conducted.”