A TORTOISE was saved by the fire service in a daring rescue after a fire started in a Penarth property due to an unattended candle.

Firefighters received reports of a domestic fire on Hickman Road on January 27.

The fire service faces many challenges, but on that night the challenge was a little unusual, with the threat to life of a pet tortoise whose fate was left in the hands of a candle.

South Wales Fire Service has warned that candles are relaxing, but they can cause “devastation”.

In a statement the service said: “At approximately 10.46pm on Friday 27, we received reports of a domestic fire on Hickman Road.

“Crews from Penarth and Cardiff Central Stations attended the scene and used specialist equipment to extinguish the fire.

“One pet tortoise was rescued from the property and a stop message was received at approximately 11.13pm.

“The fire was suspected to be caused by an unattended candle.

“While candles can bring relaxation to a home, if not managed correctly, they can also cause its devastation and endanger the lives within.

“Extinguish candles before you leave a room and never go to sleep with a candle still burning.”

Penarth Times:

(Fire crews attended the fire on Penarth's Hickman Road)

Fire service advice on candles in the home and domestic settings

South Wales Fire and Rescue have warned that candles in the home are getting a more and more popular and advised that it’s important to remember they are open flames which if left unattended or near flammable surfaces can cause devastation.

  • The service advises to follow this simple candle safety advice :
  • Keep candles out of reach of children and away from pets
  • Keep clothes and hair away from the naked flame.
  • Always use a suitable holder when burning candles
  • Put candles on a heat-resistant surface

For more safety advice, visit southwales-fire.gov.uk/your-safety-wellbeing/at-home/candle-fire-safety/