THIS week we are beginning our look back at some of the main sports stories from 2017 in Penarth.

The first part of our sports review of the year focuses on January to June.


Cogan Coronation began the year with a sensation win over Porthcawl Town in the South Wales Alliance League Division 1.

Cogan were forced into a number of changes by injury but they came from 2-0 down to win 3-2.

Haidn Dibble struck the crucial winner for the home side.

Penarth Hockey Club began the second half of their season with two wins.

The first team saw off West Wilts 6-0 which saw them move into second place and the promotion places.

The second team were victorious too beating Card and Met F by 3-2 away from home.

Dinas Powys Wolves put in a brilliant attacking display of football in a 7-0 win over Maesteg Park.

It was the first round of the South Wales Under-14s Cup.

Kyle Booker completed a hat trick as the impressive young side ran out comfortable winners.


Old Penarthians claimed a fantastic victory as they paid tribute to their former president.

They ran out 33-15 winners at home to St Albans in the Division 3 East Central (B) clash.

Before the game, a minute's applause was held for former president Roy Churchill.

Dinas Powys RFC ran out winners in the local derby against Penarth.

They won 49-17 having been 28-0 up at the break.

Penarth produced an improved performance in the second half but the villagers ended up on top.

Penarth Hockey Club continued their push for promotion with a 2-1 win away at Swindon in the GoCrea8 League.

The first team were on the hunt for a second straight title.

Tim Urlings' two goals were enough to win the game for the bears.

Old Penarthians produced a fantastic display after a couple of weeks off to beat Tylerstown at home.

They won by 16-5 with tenacity and skill coming to the fore for the homeside.

Jonathan Crimp was among the scorers for Old Pens.


Dinas Powys Ladies FC reached the semi finals of the SWWGL Women's Alun League Cup.

They beat Caldicot Ladies 3-1 away from home in terrible conditions.

Laura Murray put the home side in front and added a second before Demi Bounds completing the scoring for the villagers.

They also reached the final of the SWFA Women's Cup after beating Cwmbran Celts Ladies 6-1.

Penarth Hockey Club secured promotion and the league title in March.

They beat Firebrands A by 3-2 at Stanwell School ton win the Conference North title.

They also celebrated promotion from the De Cymru 3 league.

Two goals from Laith El-Khatibi and one from Ben Croxall helped secure the win on an historic day for the club.

Penarth Town FC's second team secured a win despite awful weather.

They won 4-0 away at BV in Wenvoe with manager Simon Humphries saying he was "very pleased" with the performance.

The impressive win took them to second in the Vale Division Two clash.

Penarth RFC dominated their game away at Pontyclun as they ran out comfortable winners.

Harry Roberts scored two tries as the visitors won by 34-13.

It was a timely boost for Penarth after a couple of close losses against top of the table opposition.


Laura Murray was on fire again for Dinas Powys Ladies in their quest for the title.

They ran out 2-0 winners away to Newport County Ladies.

It was a very hot day but the Dinas Powys team showed true togetherness to get the result.

Penarth RFC's youth side won the WRU Welsh Plate in April.

They beat Burry Port 12-6 at the Arms Park in Cardiff.

A squad of more than 30 players travelled and were hosted by the WRU at the Principality Stadium.

The parents, committee and coaches expressed their pride at the efforts of the entire squad.

Penarth Town seconds XI dominated as they beat Cadoxton Imps in a Vale Division Two Clash.

Penarth were in joint second going into the game and Cadoxton in joint first.

It was an excellent performance from Penarth Town who set their sights on top spot.

Penarth RFC finished their season with a win to silence the critics.

They overcame St Peter's by 34-33 in a game which saw 10 tries scored.

A late kick from James Thatcher sealed the win for Penarth which was the ideal way to finish the season.


Dinas Powys RFC celebrated cup glory as they ran in nine tries.

They beat fellow Vale side Llantwit Major 59-26 as they added the East District Cup to the Division 2 East Central League title they secured just three days before.

Dinas coach John Dunleavy said: "It has been a great season for us" and said he was looking forward to the challenge of Division One.

Sully Centurions were victorious over local rivals Dinas Powys in the opening game of the cricket season.

They ran out winners by seven wickets in the South East Wales Cricket League fixture.

Santosh's 103 helped Sully reach the target of 183 to win in the 33rd over.

Sully Sports Reds lifted the year 10 league shield of the Vale of Glamorgan Association Football League.

They drew 0-0 with fellow cup finalists Barry Athletic which was enough for them to win the title.

Penarth Cricket Club secured their place at the South Wales Premier Cricket League Twenty20 finals day.

They beat Newport Fugitives and Bridgend Town to reach the big day which was to be held at the Swalec Stadium in Cardiff.

They saw off the Fugitives by 59 runs with captain Jonathan Davies leading the way with 38 and Richard Skone taking 3-13 with the ball.

They beat Bridgend Town by seven wickets with Ali Bukkhari and Scott Matthews both getting two wickets and an unbeaten 85 from Nick Morgan seeing them through to the finals day.


Sully Centurions went top of their division after beating Vale Cricket Club.

Santosh Singh (42), Rhett Jones (35) and Jake Griffett (61) helped Sully to 211-9.

Vale could only reach 172-9 as Prashant, Dave Goodway and Jake Griffett all picked up two wickets each.

Dinas Powys secured their second win of the season as they beat Creigiau away from home.

They won by seven wickets and collected 19 precious points.

Matt Todd-Bennett took 3-22 with the ball and Gordon Hannah scored 45 with the bat to see the Villagers comfortably home.

Sully Spartans managed a six wicket win at Tredegar.

They only had 10 players and Tredegar mustered 207-6 from their overs.

But the Spartans were up for the challenge and Saeed's 50 and Sudhi's 60 helped them over the line.