WALES captain Alun Wyn Jones has committed his future to the Ospreys by agreeing a new national dual contract with the region and the Welsh Rugby Union.

The iconic lock, who will win his 117th cap when leading out his country against France in the Six Nations finale in Cardiff tomorrow, has agreed fresh terms to spend a 14th season at the Liberty Stadium.

The 32-year-old could have had his pick of Europe’s best clubs but the Lions hero will stay at the Ospreys in the build-up to the 2019 World Cup in Japan.

Jones said: “I’m thankful for the collaboration between the WRU and Ospreys which will look after my best interests and enables me to play the best rugby possible.

“To be continuing my journey with the Ospreys is probably something I wouldn’t have predicted at the start of my career but having the opportunity to sign a new NDC at this point helps with the quality and quantity of the rugby that I play and hopefully will prolong my playing opportunities.”

Dual contracts see the WRU pick up 60 per cent of the tab and the region paying the remaining 40 per cent.

“Alun Wyn committing his future to the game here in Wales is another huge boost for Welsh rugby,” said the governing body’s chief executive Martyn Phillips.

“He is renowned and respected as a player and leader and his commitment to the Ospreys and to Wales is hugely significant and it is fantastic that another world-class player will remain in Wales.

“This announcement will also help drive our long-term focus on retaining young Welsh talent as young players will learn and benefit from Alun Wyn’s experience within our environment and that will help shape the next generation of Wales players.”