SCOTLAND’S miserable run in Cardiff continued as Wales started their autumn campaign with an impressive defensive performance at Principality Stadium.

George North and Jonathan Davies scored tries either side of the interval to make it 10 wins in a row over the Scots in the Welsh capital.

Captain Stuart McInally crossed for the visitors before the break while Scotland had two tries ruled out by the TMO in the second period.

Victory meant Wales were the inaugural winners of the Doddie Weir Cup, a new trophy named in honour of the former Scotland lock who is suffering from motor neurone disease.

It was an inauspicious start for the Scots when fly-half Adam Hastings, son of Scotland and British and Irish Lions legend Gavin, failed to find touch with a penalty.

Wales full-back Leigh Halfpenny had no such problems with his first meaningful kick, a shot at the posts from range which gave the hosts an early lead.

However, it wasn’t long before Alex Dunbar won the opening duel of the two 12s, comfortably outmuscling Hadleigh Parkes to set-up a promising attacking position for the visitors.

That came to nothing and moments later, after good work from the returning Dan Lydiate, Wales showed their hand in the Scots 22, but Gareth Anscombe’s grubber kick came to nothing.

A second Anscombe kick, this time across the field, did find its target.

George North got the ball down but on inspection his right foot was in touch thanks to a Lee Jones tackle.

Referee Mathieu Raynal had been playing a penalty advantage and Halfpenny duly converted.

The first quarter had been a good one for Wales with Halfpenny again excellent under the high ball, Jonathan Davies always a threat in possession, and Anscombe and Gareth Davies clicking.

The forwards, too, were on song as Dillon Lewis and Ken Owens showed up well in the loose and the back row of Lydiate, Justin Tipuric and Ross Moriarty bossed the breakdown.

A third Halfpenny three-pointer followed before Hastings drilled one through the Welsh posts to make it 9-3.

North had been denied earlier but, on the half-hour mark, he made absolutely sure there was no need for the TMO.

With Wales attacking the blindside, North came off his wing to take the ball from Anscombe and power through the Scottish defence.

He left Huw Jones, Dunbar and full-back Blair Kinghorn trailing in his wake to score a 34th international try.

Wales fans might have thought a repeat of this year’s Six Nations victory was on the cards, but the visitors hit back almost immediately.

Hooker McInally got the reply when he was driven over from a lineout, giving Hastings the chance to convert.

Scotland enjoyed a good start to the second half with scrum-half Ali Price’s left foot finding touch deep in home territory.

But a big hit by Tipuric eased the pressure on Wales and from there they scored a second try.

And like the first, it was another one the Scots won’t enjoy watching back.

From first phase ball, Jonathan Davies took possession from Anscombe and fended off Huw Jones all too easily to run in unopposed. Halfpenny converted for 21-10.

Wales would have been hoping to kick on for more points but the opposite happened and the Scots laid siege to the hosts’ try line for umpteen phases.

They thought Jonny Gray may have gone over the whitewash but a closer look showed he had made a double movement.

Nevertheless, Gregor Townsend’s men returned to Wales territory soon after and were playing against 14 for the last 10 minutes after replacement Elliot Dee was sin-binned for a ruck infringement.

The TMO’s work for the afternoon wasn’t done and he ruled that Peter Horne hadn’t grounded the ball with enough downward pressure following a dink over the top by brother George.

And any chance the Scots had of a late comeback were extinguished when number-eight Ryan Wilson knocked on just metres from the line.

Wales: L Halfpenny; L Morgan, J Davies, H Parkes, G North; G Anscombe, G Davies; N Smith, K Owens, D Lewis, C Hill, A W Jones, D Lydiate, J Tipuric, R Moriarty.

Reps: E Dee, R Evans, L Brown, A Beard, A Wainwright, T Williams, J Evans, S Evans.