ON a dank murky afternoon Tynewydd met Cogan for the third league match in succession in a slight fixture anomaly in Men’s Division 1 with each side taking a victory previously at the end of 2018.

Cogan, with a more familiar line up to the team that Tynewydd faced in their victory, started the better of the two sides and took the lead after 15 mins but Tynewydd hit back and equalised virtually straight away.

A through ball by new signing Richard Yarr, a shrewd January signing by manager Gareth Union, found Craig Rattenbury one on one with the keeper and he made no mistake, levelling the match at 1-1.

With the half drawing to a close Lewis Union picked up the ball in his own half and sprayed a 50 yard cross field ball to Elliot Hicks, with a superb first touch Hicks cut in off the right and his looping shot flew over the Cogan keeper to make it 2-1 at the interval.

Midway through the second half a botched free kick routine left Pravesh Pydannah in space to cross into the box where he found a towering George Pycroft who neatly cushioned his header back across goal to Yarr, the debutant made no mistake, calmly side footing his volley into the top corner to make it 3-1 and seemingly wrap up all 3 points.

That was not to be the case as Cogan came on strong in the last 15 minutes and caught Tynewydd cold with two quick sucker punch goals to make it 3-3

With only minutes remaining and Tynewydd looking like they’d thrown away the lead, they managed to create enough pressure to grab a late corner and one last chance. A chance they would take after a whipped in ball from Yarr was met by Hicks at the front post and he glanced in his header in too snatch the lead back and guarantee victory.

This was a true never say die victory from the Tynny with great commitment shown from all the players.

Man of the match went to Elliot Hicks for his two goal salvo and winning goal, but there were some stand out performances from Richard Yarr on debut, classy throughout and George Pycroft who was an absolute colossus at the back with some barn storming challenges and an assist to boot.

Squad: C.Coleman, P.Pydannah, S.Eveleigh, L.Clarke, G.Pycroft, E.Hicks, O.Cooke, L.Union (c), R.Yarr, D.Gibbs, C.Rattenbury, J.Shepherd, J.Williams, J.Pearce, L.Peterson, G.Union