WALES weathered the Baby Blacks' storm to claim a stunning 8-7 win against New Zealand in the World Rugby U20 Championship.

The Welsh youngsters took the spoils in the play-offs for fifth place in a thrilling finish of a dramatic encounter in Rosario.

A 79th minute penalty by fly-half Cai Evans proved to be the difference, although there was still time for his opposite number Fergus Burke to have a long-range shot at goal that drifted wide.

Wales led for the majority of the afternoon thanks to a try by centre Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler but fell behind in the 70th minute after a close-range try.

They rallied and a lineout offence allowed Evans to slot a kick that ensured they followed in the footsteps of the class of 2012 by beating New Zealand.

Just like that 9-6 win in South Africa, the game was played in horrendous conditions that led to a delay of over an hour in Argentina.

The pitch may have been plastic but safety concerns meant the players were taken off the field, but the rain wasn't to ruin Wales' day.

The Baby Blacks were the tournament's leading try scorers in the group stages while Gareth Williams' side had shipped four-try bonuses against Argentina, France and Fiji.

However, they produced a dramatically improved defensive performance, regardless of the tricky conditions hindering the New Zealanders.

Wales came under early pressure inside their 22 but escaped when captain Dewi Lake led by example to come up with a crucial jackal penalty yards from his own line.

That was a theme of the opening with Williams' men racking up four turnovers in an error-strewn first quarter.

The slippery conditions were helping to ensure handling errors were frequent and led to a shambolic first score on the plastic pitch.

New Zealand centre Dallas McLeod spilt the ball from a simple midfield charge and the ball was hacked into the 22 by midfield rival Thomas-Wheeler. Blindside Kaylum Boshier slid to gather but only succeeded in kneeing the ball over his own line for the Ospreys number 12 to touch down.

Fly-half Evans was wide with the touchline conversion and his opposite number, Burke, also missed the opportunity for a swift response from the tee after a strong scrum.

Then came the unplanned break with 28 minutes on the clock, English referee Christophe Ridley taking the players back to the changing room.

Back they came and the Baby Blacks were straight on the attack, kicking successive penalties to the corner only to botch the five-metre lineout.

There was a steady stream of errors in the wet with neither country, who should both be used to soggy weather, able to build up a head of steam.

But Wales bombed a huge chance with five minutes left of the first half when Scarlets wing Ryan Conbeer bounced off a tackler but Cai Evans failed to cling on to the pass in the 22 when the line was at his mercy, although New Zealand tighthead Tamaiti Williams did superbly to be back making a nuisance of himself.

Evans was to the fore again in the 39th minute, this time from the tee only for his ambitious long-range effort to drift just wide and short.

That was the final play of the half, with Mr Ridley blowing his whistle for half-time two hours after he had signalled for the start.

Wales had made 96 tackles to the Baby Blacks' 37 but had managed the game well to avoid being put under too much stress close to their line.

However, they had to withstand severe pressure at the start of the second half with 17 phases in their 22 before the relief of a knock-on.

It was New Zealand's turn to have the rub of the green in the 48th minute when Samipeni Finau flew into Ioan Davies after the full-back fielded a high ball but somehow only saw yellow for his high hit.

Evans, who has kicked superbly in the tournament, had another shot at goal from halfway after 54 minutes only to pull the tricky effort wide.

Another chance came and went when a strong counter-ruck by the Baby Blacks released the pressure when the Welsh youngsters were carrying hard five metres out.

Mistake followed mistake as the hour approached and a breakdown penalty, after a botched Welsh lineout, allowed Evans another shot at goal only for his effort to hit the left upright.

New Zealand took advantage of that escape when they kicked a 70th minute penalty to the corner and lock Tupou Va'ai powered over from close range for a try that Blake converted.

However, Evans would have the final say to set up a clash with either England or Ireland.

Wales scorers: try – T Thomas-Wheeler; penalty – C Evans