PENARTH Wanderers' first Summer Cup semi-final appearance against Cardiff Northern OB ended in bitter disappointment.

As with most football matches, statistics do not always tell the full story.

Wanderers held the lion's share of possession throughout much of the game without any success. In the first half, especially, they made numerous attempts on goal with Chris Rodd and Scott Muir linking well down the left wing only for those chances to go begging. Martin Chick going close and Mike Kean hitting the woodwork. It was then, with a speculative 30 yard shot Cardiff Northern took the lead. Goalkeeper, Billy Nolan, got a hand to it but it fell agonisingly just over the line.

The introduction of Nathan Self in the centre of midfield settled the Wanderers and gave them a bit more steel. However, this was a bit more combative than the referee liked and lead to Self spending 10 minutes in the sin-bin! As the half drew to a close Nathan Turpitt came on. Half-time 1-0 to Cardiff Northern.

Manager, Ronnie Rahman, tried to get it across that all was far from lost if the Wanderers could get back level then he believed we could go on and win.

Starting the second half with a couple of enforced changes, bringing on Steve Peters and Mike Roberts as both were settling into the game Northern scored their second when the Wanderers defence were caught out and the ball was scrambled in.

Penarth were now chasing the game but were reluctant to push men further forward.

They still enjoyed, if you could say that, much of the possession but could not convert it into any meaningful efforts on goal. When they did any shots were easily dealt with by the Cardiff Northern goalkeeper or were snatched at and wayward.

There was still plenty of time in the second half if only the Wanderers could get a goal back but the defence of Paul Davies, Dave Lewis, Huw Longman and Mike Kean was getting stretched and increasingly weary when Northern got another goal, unfortunately it was an own-goal put through his own net by Lewis.

By now Penarth’s heads were dropping and the likes of Mike Bracey and Martin Chick were getting more and more isolated, large gaps were appearing all over as Cardiff Northern were growing more confident in taking the tie. Cardiff then scored their fourth goal putting the tie to bed.

The final score 4-0 to Cardiff Northern.

Well done to them and good luck in the final.