FOLLOWING a midweek Welsh Soccer League game at Chepstow where Dinas Powys came away with nothing after totally dominating for long spells, the local side was determined to build on their recent good form.

At Chepstow, Dinas went down 2-0, with a dubious penalty for handball being converted by Steve Edwards on the rebound after 'keeper James Curtin parried the spot kick and Aaron Colwill putting away a late header.

In windy conditions on Saturday, Caldicot forced several early corners taken by ex-Dinas man Matt Trottman, while Mitchell Slape drove through the middle to beat Dinas 'keeper Steve Johnson but was adjudged offside.

Getting their passing game going, Dinas came more into the game and Zac Cleary and Ryan Garland linked up well before the latter was tackled and then Cleary put Luke Swaffield in but his shot was just wide. Garland continued to cause problems down the right flank, beating the full back time and again, and getting in some good crosses which the Caldicot defence dealt with.

At the other end, Johnson tipped a deep cross over the crossbar and was at full stretch to hold a shot from distance by Saunders. However, the visitors took the lead on 35 minutes when Matt James flicked a header past Johnson.

Dinas had a good chance to get on terms when Carlos Indjai was put through one-on-one with Caldicot 'keeper Matt Sandiford but his effort was high and wide. And a determined run and cross from Swaffield reached Indjai but again he scuffed his shot and Sandiford gathered.

In the second half, Dinas came out in determined mood, playing some fine football to feet, before the management team of Keith Williams and Lee Saunders brought on Connor Parsons and Daniel Gwyn Hughes for Garland and Indjai. The moves paid dividends within a few minutes when, following a cross from Swaffield wide on the left, Cleary blasted the ball high into the net for the equaliser.

Forcing a number of corners, Dinas were well on top at this stage and continued to press for the winner, with Cleary almost getting a second as Sandiford made a fine save.

With 20 minutes remaining, the home side made their final substitution, with Steve Provis, a replacement for Victor Arnau, slotting in at right back and Nicky Bruce moving to left back.

With Dinas maintaining their excellent work rate, the visitors rarely troubled central defenders James Marr and James Bloxham, but a second Dinas goal wouldn't come and they had to be content with a point.

On Saturday, April 26, Second Division leaders Garden Village visit the Murch, no doubt looking for revenge after Dinas became the first team to take three points off them this season; kick-off is 2.30pm.

Dinas: Steve Johnson, Nicky Bruce, Victor Arnau, James Marr, James Bloxham, Marc Bonet, Ryan Garland, Luke Swaffield, Ben Ahmun, Zac Cleary, Carlos Indjai, Steve Provis, Ronan Scott, Connor Parsons and Daniel Gwyn Hughes.