Fire service called after house fire in Cogan
5:02pm Tuesday 10th December 2013 in News
EMERGENCY SERVICES: Fire crews from Penarth and Cardiff Central were called to the scene on Monday night (2939925)
A COGAN family had a lucky escape after a boiler blew up in their house.
Fortunately the family were watching a pantomime across the road at the Cogan Coronation Club when emergency services were called to the scene.
Two children from a neighbouring property, a six month old baby and a four-year-old, were taken to hospital as a precaution after suffering from smoke inhalation. They were subsequently given the all clear and were released from hospital around an hour afterwards.
Local residents came out on to Pill Street to watch the drama unfold as three fire engines from Penarth and Cardiff Central, police, a rapid response vehicle and an ambulance were all called to the scene.
A South Wales Fire Service spokesman said: “It was a first floor fire in the rear bedroom of a two storey property, found to be an accidental ignition involving a boiler in the bedroom.”
A South Wales Ambulance spokesman said: “We were called at 7.48pm to reports of a fire at a property on Pill Street, Penarth.
“A paramedic in a rapid response car and an emergency ambulance were dispatched to the scene, and two children with smoke inhalation were taken to the University Hospital of Wales.”
Police confirmed that there were no suspicious circumstances.