Vale Council considers new road junction instead of replacing Cross Common Bridge
Updated 11:55am Tuesday 8th July 2014 in News
THE VALE Council is considering constructing a new junction on Cardiff Road instead of replacing Cross Common Bridge in Dinas Powys.
The council is considering the alternative in a bid to minimise any disruption to local residents as repairing the bridge would result in closing the road for up to 14 weeks.
Council officers are currently in discussions with the landowner of the LDP candidate site southeast of the Cross Common Bridge about the possibility of making land available to realign the road and construct a new junction with Cardiff Road to the south of Cadoxton River. This would remove the need to replace the existing bridge structure.
Cllr Neil Moore, leader of the Vale of Glamorgan Council, said: “This new option has two major advantages. Firstly the provision of a new access road to replace the bridge would improve vehicle and pedestrian safety - a benefit for the local community which cannot be achieved with a new bridge alone.
"Secondly, this option would result in significantly less disruption to traffic travelling through Dinas Powys. Replacing the bridge could require us to close the road for up to 14 weeks; something we know would inconvenience our residents greatly.
"A final decision on this proposal will be subject to legal agreement and the relevant planning permissions being agreed. If the proposal is not fully viable or negotiations for the land prove unsuccessful then we will revert to the bridge replacement plan, as previously agreed. However, this plan is currently on hold while we fully investigate this alternative.
"In the meantime I would like to reassure residents that if the existing bridge structure remains open it will be safe for traffic as normal."
Dinas Powys councillors have overwhelmingly welcomed the proposals and described them as the "best solution" to the traffic problems
Plaid Councillor Keith Hatton, who represents the Eastbrook ward, said: "We have long urged the Vale to consider this option. A 14 week closure of the bridge would have had serious consequences for drivers.”
Councillor Chris Franks, who represents the Murch ward, said, “We have been battling for a solution to this unsatisfactory and dangerous junction for many years. This proposal will improve safety for pedestrians and motorists.”
Councillor Val Hartrey, who also represents Eastbrook, added: “We need some clarity about the existing bridge. Will it remain as a pedestrian only route with the timber props being removed which should help reduce the flooding risks?
"This plan has not been presented to Cabinet and there is a need for a timetable to be provided. Residents of St Cadocs Avenue will be especially keen to see any improvement that will reduce the threat of flooding."