PENARTH Town Firsts had no game again last weekend, but the Seconds travelled to Dinas Powys to play Cadoxton Barry FC in the Vale 2nd Division.

On what turned out to be a very heavy pitch, it was never going to be a day for good passing football.

The game started fairly evenly although quite scrappy, with both teams having half chances but nothing to worry either keeper.

Then mid way through the first half a long ball over the home team's back four gave Kyle Lewis a half chance as the ball began to run away from him. There was only one real option and that was to put everything behind it and hope for the best.

lt turned out to be an excellent contact and the resulting shot gave the home team's keeper no chance.

Soon after that an off-the-ball incident resulted in one of the Cadoxton players lashing out and receiving a booking. He continued to abuse the referee and was subsequently shown a red for dissent. The game then slowed into a bit of a rut as the heavy going took its toll on everyone and Penarth went into the break just the single goal in front. In the second period the visitors managed to get on top against the 10 men and created quite a few chances but could not convert them.

It was then Cadoxton's turn to dominate and with the lion's share of the possession, their belief seemed to come back and eventually paid off when a poorly defended corner was not cleared and was knocked in from close range.

Penarth had made changes just before and they started to pay off with fresh legs up front in the shape of Shaun Parker. Lewis broke through again and unselfishly squared to Parker who finished in fine style on the half volley.

Penarth had the lead back and then dug in to maintain it until the final whistle.

A well deserved victory in very poor conditions. Top marks to the Penarth defence, in particular Paul Averies, Tristan Davies and half time sub Simon Baird who all had excellent games.


PENARTH Town Youth were in action last weekend in the Cardiff Under 18 league, at home to a very strong Ely Rangers side.

Penarth started poorly and did not settle well against the well organised and powerful opposition.

It was not long before Ely took the lead from a fine long-range effort, and this seemed to knock the stuffing out of Penarth as they conceded two more sloppy goals in the next 10 minutes.

So with only 20 minutes gone Penarth were 3-0 down but they did not give up and just before the break got one back from a well placed long range free kick by Anthony Angove, which left the Ely keeper clutching at fresh air.

So at the break Town were down 3-1 but they came out in the second half with new purpose and a cross from the wide right was nodded in at the far post by the smallest player on the pitch Shane Parker.

Penarth now started to believe they really might get something from this game and not long after, Llewellyn Kemp broke through into the opposition penalty box and finished in style to level the scores.

Things then went wrong again for the home side, giving away a silly penalty which the visitors converted followed by another sloppy goal from poor defensive positioning.

All over you might think but then about 10 minutes from the end Parker was taken out inside the Ely penalty box, Kemp stepped up and brought Penarth back into it.

The Town players pressed hard and when Luke Horwood was obviously taken out again in the opposition box it seemed a draw was on the cards. To everyone's amazement the referee waved play on and Penarth ended up the losers by the odd goal.

The whole team had, however, shown great heart to get back into the game twice, helped by good performances by the two front runners, hard work in mid-field and solid performances at the back from Anthony Angove and Matthew Nethercott.