COGAN Coronation fell to an agnosing 3-2 away defeat to Aber Valley FC last week as they conceded in the 91st minute of play.

Goals from Curtis Boddy and Haidn Dibble had helped cancel out the opener from Aber Valley, but an excellent display of counter-attacking football helped the home side equalise and then eventually find the winner.

Cogan looked rightfully devastated at the final whistle, knowing that they were the better side for long periods of the match.

Conditions in Abertridwr were difficult from the off, an already muddy surface wasn’t helped by the bursts of rainfall that helped produce a number of crucial slips in a tense opening 15 minutes.

Dibble twice went close with efforts from the edge of the box in the early stages of the match as Cogan preyed on an opener.

Liam Jones was industrial in midfield and helped fork out chances for both Scott Muir and Michael Wallace before he had his own shot fizz past the post after a scramble in the box.

Aber Valley rarely threatened in the opening periods, which was why their goal caught Cogan by complete surprise.

Curtis Boddy made an abrasive tackle on the far side of the box which resulted in a free-kick from a narrow angle for Aber Valley, with some great skill the number nine curled the ball past Mark Hussey at his near post to give the home side the lead.

Determined to set things straight, Cogan looked determined to find an equaliser and get their game back on track.

They passed the ball across the midfield well and started to create some good openings and before long they found their goal.

Successive corners from Hiadn Dibble had threatened the Aber goal but his third skimmed the crossbar and fell dangerously into the six-yard box.

As if by miracle the ball fell to Curtis Boddy and he took his chance to bury in an equaliser and earn some redemption for his costly mistake earlier in the game.

The closing stages of the first half were filled with chances for Cogan to take the lead.

Stewart Owadally had experienced a nervous start to the match but he looked experienced and composed as he sent a lofted through ball to the onward rushing Jones who was one on one with the goalkeeper.

Too many touches for the skipper meant he fired his shot off target but the signs were there for Cogan to keep knocking.

And on the stroke of half-time they nearly got their wish, Haidn Dibble nearly got the goal he wanted when he sent a shot from 25-yards towards the Aber goal but it cannoned off the upright as the half-time whistle blew.

With the scores level both teams came back into the match with fierce motivation to snatch the victory and this often caused a flurry of cautions from the referee.

Cogan eventually found their goal on 62 minutes and it was Dibble who at last got his reward.

Jones masterfully found enough space in the box to squeeze a pass through some tangled legs towards goal but some poor lunges at Cogan from Aber Valley left the referee no choice but to award a penalty.

Dibble stepped up to the spot with confidence and fired home the goal to put Cogan deservedly ahead.

With just under 30 minutes of the match still to play, Cogan recognised they would have to dig deep to defend their slender lead and to try to extend it as best they could.

Chances were few and far between at first but Aber Valley began to slowly build momentum as they escaped punishment on some risky foul play, much to Cogan’s distress.

With 79 minutes played Aber Valley broke in numbers and found some space on the left-wing, a low-driven cross from the number 11 deflected into the path of their striker and he fired past Mark Hussey in goal to equalise.

Cogan pressed to get a winner but they were caught out on the counter fatally in the final minutes of the match.

The Aber striker who netted the equaliser bore down on goal and rounded the onrushing Hussey before squaring the ball to a team-mate to snatch the winner.

A distraught Cogan team hung their heads at the full-time whistle as they knew they had dropped points in a crucial away fixture.

Aber Valley (10th) now sit three points above Cogan (12th) in the division one table, next up for them is a home fixture against top-of-the-table Porthcawl Town.

For Cogan it’s a home fixture against Clwb Cymric, who are currently in 15th place which means it’s a must-win match for Coro.